Associate Consultant , Actuarial Pensions at Aon

Average Rating:
7.9
Date of Review: 30th Apr 2012
up
54 users have voted this review useful.
TJC Favourite
How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
I am an Associate Consultant in the Defined Contribution Pensions Practice in Aon Hewitt. I work with two consultants and a senior consultant to provide advice on pension plans and ensure our clients have an appropriate pension in place for their employees. This involves setting up new pension schemes; drafting reports, presentations and ongoing pension communications; facilitating pension transfers and answering pension member queries. I have a dual role; around a third of my time is spent working on proposition development for Aon Hewitt.
Days are quite varied but include:
Talking to clients about their pension plans.
Handling ad-hoc issues from clients and pension plan members.
Facilitating member transfers.
Writing reports such as governance, benchmarking, auto enrolment and legislative updates.
Drafting presentations and other communications for client’s employees.
Preparing for and attend client meetings.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Positives:
Substantial amount of client facing work.
Variety- no two clients are the same.
Exposure to senior consultants with vast knowledge on a daily basis.

Negatives:
Sometimes long working hours and studying for exams can be a negative, however it is only for a few years.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
No particular degree is essential, but a degree in business/ finance/ financial services is beneficial.

Presentations skills - as a consultant, you will frequently present to pension scheme members, clients and also prospective clients. It is important to be comfortable presenting to large groups.

Social skills – a large amount of time is spent with clients, pension providers and colleagues. If you are shy and don’t like meeting new people this probably isn’t the job for you.

Ability to learn quickly – Exams have to be taken, pension regulation is constantly changing, providers update their offerings frequently and clients’ needs change. We need to know these things to ensure our clients get the best service.

Initiative- Associates need to take initiative and begin work, such as preparation for a client meeting without being told by consultants.

Priority management - You need to be organized and possess an ability to manage a range of clients needs and demands while making some clients feel they are the only client you are working on.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
I completed an online application, I then had a telephone interview (as I was based in Dublin, other candidates had a face to face interview). The final stage was an assessment centre with four other candidates, which involved an interview, a presentation based on a real client issue, lunch with past graduate programme members and a case study discussion.

The interview process has changed since I joined Aon.

Advice for candidates:
Research the company and different areas of Aon/ Aon Hewitt, knowledge on other areas of the business and how we work together, for example we often work with departments such as Pension’s Administration, Risk, Healthcare, Communications, Flexible Benefits and Investment.

What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
These are my general working hours. If there are a lot of projects or work needs to be completed I will work through lunch and longer hours.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Probably
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.