About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Engineer (Signalling) to join our Rail team to work in Derby.
You will take responsibility for the development and delivery of a product or service, applying engineering best practice and adhering to relevant standards, which meets a specification agreed with the relevant project manager, provide engineering support for new and existing products and services, and support the full project life-cycle from requirements capture through to ongoing support.
What you'll be doing
As a Graduate Engineer (Signalling), you will:
- Produce development plans, including resource and materials costing, required to meet the agreed specification
- Produce, present and agree with the relevant project manager a design for the product and/or service
- Develop the product or service as agreed with the relevant project manager showing awareness of, and adherence to, relevant standards
- Produce project documentation to support each part of the development process
- Provide justification, and seek the agreement from the relevant project manager, for changes to plan, resources and materials
- Provide ongoing technical support for the product or service
- Involvement in the planning and monitoring of signalling development projects and the management of sub-contractors
- Deliver project deliverables to pre-agreed budget, quality requirements and timescales
- Be aware of and monitor costs associated with the development project
- Work towards Membership of the IRSE and Chartered Engineer status (IRSE or IET)
- Ensure that safety, health, environmental and quality (SHEQ) management systems for individual projects are adhered to, liaising as necessary with the SHEQ resource.
Who we're looking for
You will have/ be:
- BA Hons Degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Able to design and development of electronic systems
- Knowledge of modern day testing and monitoring techniques applied to railway signalling and infrastructure
- Experience in the planning and management of technical /software development projects
- Knowledge of information management systems
- Knowledge of health and safety requirements for working in a laboratory and the railway environment
- Good communication skills
- Computer literate with Microsoft Products
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol. We are also a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.