About the role
Who we are:
We are the UK’s largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and you’ll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best graduates to come and join our ever changing business.
What you'll be doing
We deliver projects of differing size and scope throughout the UK and you will play a key role in ensuring we make the optimal margin on a project. Working as a valued member of our Surveying team, you’ll be involved in many aspects of Land Surveying such as:
Collecting and analysing data to map the shape of land for our construction projects.
Transforming data from the digital environment to the construction environment and will be a part of a centre of excellence in all survey related matters.
Your duties could include:
- carrying out initial surveys
- using surveying instruments and GPS to chart exact coordinates of site features
- Verification ,installation and maintenance of survey control networks to the highest order
- Point clouds and digital ground models from photogrammetry using UAV technology
- Data acquisition and anlaysis of LIDAR data from terrestrial, mobile and airborne platforms
- gathering data and using geographic information systems (GIS) to analyse and interpret site features (geomatics)
- monitoring land movement and subsidence caused during our construction process
- Drafting 2D and 3D charts and maps using computer aided design software and other cartographic techniques.
- Analysis and provision of digital data for machine control operations and setting out
The Balfour Beatty Graduate scheme lasts for two years and you will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a business leader of the future. Throughout the two years, you'll be supported by your line manager and mentor and have the opportunity to attend graduate-based events, where you will network with your peers, develop interpersonal skills and share best practice. You will join a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
What you’ll need:
- 2:2 BEng (Hons), MEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in Civil engineering, Geospatial Engineering or any other relevant accredited Surveying degree.
- Experience within an engineering environment
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK
What we’re looking for:
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- Map work orientation skills (for work in the field)
- Accuracy, especially when using equipment
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the able to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
Why work for us
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary, that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and a company car if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will be covered.
Our Surveying Graduate schemes are based in the following Balfour Beatty Division:
- Balfour Beatty Major Projects