Job Review
Estimating Engineer, Balfour Beatty Engineering Services, Redhill at Balfour Beatty
at Balfour Beatty

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
I tender building services for large commercial developments in and around London. My job involves the pricing of the work for construction by our site teams.
Responsibilities include:
Review initial enquiry documentation.
Source quotations from suppliers and select sub-contractors.
Obtain necessary information from the drawings and specification.
Review all suppliers and sub-contractors quotations.
Conduct value engineering.
Assess preliminary requirements.
Present and finalise costs with director(s).
Complete tender information for the Client.
Liaise with Client for feedback.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
+ The main positives of the job are working with customers to achieve a solution for the client. + The targets we have to meet are challenging, and it is mostly enjoyable working towards these.
+ I enjoy working on the many different and diverse projects that come through the department and the experience I gain through this.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
It is extremely beneficial to have a background knowledge of the industry which I gained through the apprenticeship I was on. It is necessary to be able to communicate with people effectively and work under pressure.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
The interview process was in the form of an application form, a face to face meeting with the training manager and HR representative followed by a maths/english test. It was useful to have researched the company I was applying for to know what the job involved, to know what the job involves and to be sure that it is the right choice for a candidate as a career.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 8amto 5pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
Average Rating:
4.5/5
Date of Review: 18th Apr 2012
up
123 users have voted this review useful.