Job Review
Site Engineer at Balfour Beatty
at Balfour Beatty

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
As Site Engineer, I am responsible for ensuring the project I am working on is built as per the drawings, as well as ensuring it is built safely.

I am the Package Manager for the external works packages on site (groundworks, soft landscaping, fencing, external furniture etc).
I give subcontractors any information (drawings/specifications etc.) they require and carry out quality assurance checks on all work done by subcontractors I am responsible for.

I interact with sub-contractor supervisors and operatives, architects/consultants, the client and other members of my team.

I am involved in daily co-ordination meetings with subcontractors as well as safety, start-up and progress meetings.

I also keep records of works on site to help the commercial team and for the company filing system.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
The positives to my job are that it is very varied and I meet a large range of people. The job is very rewarding, as at the end of a project you can see the result of you and your team's hard work. There is a lot of support available from the project team and the company, whilst individual work and initiative is also required. I also get to work outside on site a lot of the time as well as in the office.

The only negative to my job is that after each project, I leave the team I have been working with, although it is a good opportunity to adapt to a new team and I often see people I have previously worked with again.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
The qualifications required are either a degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering. Balfour Beatty also support day-release students who study one day a week whilst working four days a week.

The skills required to be great at the job are teamworking, problem solving, adaptability, numeracy and good communication skills.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
I initially worked with Balfour Beatty on work experience whilst at college. After completing a series of altitude tests and an application form describing my skills and interests, I worked on a project for an eight to ten week summer placement throughout University.

Balfour Beatty sponsored me through University, which was dependent on my performance on the summer placement. After graduating, I joined Balfour Beatty on a permanent basis, with a six month probation period.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 8amto 6pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
8.6
4.3/5
Date of Review: 17th Apr 2012
up
136 users have voted this review useful.