Site Engineer, Balfour Beatty Construction at Balfour Beatty

7.7
3.9/5
Date of Review: 18th Apr 2012
up
37 users have voted this review useful.
How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
My job is to manage the quality control of the construction of an Academy School, I talk to subcontractors, take measurement and ensure that everything is done according to the architects and structural engineers drawings.
I monitor progress on site, ensure that the relevant Quality Assurance documents before construction progresses. I talk to our construction and Mechanical/Electrical subcontractor to ensure they are coordinating their work. I survey finished work and compare it to relevant drawings to ensure that what has been built has been done correctly. I review drawings of future work and make comments if there is an issue with buildability or a clarity needed. I carry out setting out when needed.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Positives -
+ Job satisfaction - I always walk away at the end of a day knowing I have accomplished something.
+ I feel that I leave behind me a lasting legacy of work - I can walk around the schoola I help build and know intimately what was needed in order to produce the end result.
+ Being able to spend a lot of time outside - I get to enjoy the sunshine

Negatives -
- Long working hours and travel to work - I am expected to work the necessary hours to get the job done and do not get any overtime pay.
- Spending a lot of time outside - If it rains I have to stand outside in it (but I do get a coat!).
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Being comfortable with taking responsibility for things. I was given quite a lot of responsibility quite quickly.

Learn quickly. I had to pick up the rules and procedures very quickly and become a competent user in a short space of time.

Be comfortable and assertive when talking to people. I have to talk to a lot of different people daily and I need to be able to know how to talk to them. If I see something which does not follow the site rules I need to have the confidence to approach them and get them to change what they are doing.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
I had to attend an interview with the project manager who I would be working under as well as the HR manager and Director who tested my technical knowledge.

Be confident with what you do know. Do not lie about what you do not know. Be honest and truthful about your ambitions.
Salary Comments
So long as I progress with my development I get a pay rise of £500 every six months
What hours do you actually work, on average? 7amto 6pm.
I have to drive for an 1hr 15mins in order to get to and from work. But I do get reimbursed for petrol cost as well as getting a car allowance to cover maintenance of my car.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.