Job Review
Development Assistant, Urban Regeneration at Barratt Developments
at Barratt Developments

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
Project management role to deliver large public sector schemes throughout the North of England and the Midlands. I also get involved from time-to-time in putting together bid documents for publicly owned land.
I work with Local Authority partners and all internal departments at relevant Barratt/David Wilson divisions (Land, Technical, Commercial, Construction, Sales, Finance) to progress a site from a piece of land to a housing development.
Once on site I oversee the development to ensure that all site obligations signed up for delivered i.e. deliver what we said we were going to.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Working in regeneration areas is tough work however the reward when you see a scheme you were involved with on site and the area being changed is brilliant.
The most enjoyable part of my role is the work I do in the community in local schools and working with local training providers.

I would say the main negative is that schemes take so long to get on site. It is a long process from it being a piece of land to seeing a completed development on site. Patience and good partnership work is key to ensure that all parties are happy and that the development is the right one for the area.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
I have a Business and Management degree. In my opinion it doesn't matter what degree you have as long as you have the right attitude and a passion for the Industry and role that is a great start.

A related degree would be useful as it may help you get to grips with the role quicker.

A professional qualification i.e. RICS may also be advisable when you are 1 year into your role.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Ensure your CV, and skill set within, is fully relevant to the department you wish to work in. Make sure you read about the Company and I would advise to visit some sites also to understand the front-end of the Industry.

Role play was an important part of the assessment centre for me so practice some tough situations with your friends i.e. angry customer etc.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 8amto 6pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comments

Excellent review
Job Title:
7.8
3.9/5
Date of Review: 25th Feb 2011
up
185 users have voted this review useful.