Job Review
Graduate Scheme at Barratt Developments
at Barratt Developments

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
My job is a Divisional Graduate in the West of Scotland. The past two months I have been based within the Sales Department & I have now moved to the Land Department. I will continue to rotate around the operational areas of the business for the next year before specialising in one area. In each area I am given a lot of responsibility and a real chance to get my teeth stuck into new projects.
In the Sales Department on a day to day basis I interacted with many different people. From organising and designing signage to be put on our sites with our chosen suppliers, advertising and organising the opening of new sites and show arenas, to keeping up to date with the front line staff on site and head office to coordinate sales, to always have up to date knowledge on the build stages on site, to the legal documents that have to be completed throughout the build and sales process. I never have the same day twice and I'm often out and about visiting the sites, customers and competitors.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
A balance of being in the office and out, thus getting to meet everybody involved in the buying, building and selling process from start to finish. Another positive is the chance to experience every area of the business, this offers the chance to gain knowledge from each department and piece together how everything works. Never having the same day twice is also a positive as it makes for a very exciting, fast paced job. A main positive for me is feeling part of a team, the Barratt team in my division as well as nationwide and part of the team of graduates.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Degree: 2.1 or above in any discipline
Employment Experience: Work experience, not necessarily related to show your commitment to a job and experience of dealing with a variety of different people
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I think having a 9-5 job is far more interesting than it initially seemed - especially in the housebuilding industry.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Be yourself and have aspirations. Don't limit yourself to one role within the business, have an open mind and be willing to relocate.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 5pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
Graduate Scheme
Average Rating:
9.5
4.8/5
Date of Review: 19th Nov 2010
up
175 users have voted this review useful.