Job Review
Graduate Trainee, Scotland at Barratt Developments
at Barratt Developments

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
The Graduate Scheme involves me spending 8 weeks in each of the key departments, Land, Technical, Commercial, Construction, Sales and Finance. I am supplied with tasks to complete for each of these rotations, providing me with a structure to maximise my learning. My role as a graduate is to learn as much about the company as I can in each department and challenge my colleagues.
As a Construction Graduate my days are varied. Most of my rotation was spent out on site where I had the opportunity to witness the build process first hand. I am encouraged to ask as many questions as I need and have had the opportunity to attend meetings, seminars and numerous site visits to experience the different build stages. I was introduced to the Site Manager on my first day who was my main point of contact however I am encouraged to interact with all of the professionals on site. My main tasks are orientated around the layout of the Graduate folder, designed to give me a broad understanding of the department however is not limited to this.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
What I enjoy most about the Graduate Scheme is the structure I am provided with, the ease at which I have settled into the company and the many opportunities I am given in which to expand my knowledge of the business.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
A Degree at 2:1 level or above or a Masters Degree form a variety of disciplines.

In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
The company have been a lot more open and encouraging than I had ever expected. The pace at which I am learning and the opportunities I am provided with, I am confident are unrivaled.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Be yourself, be confident in your ability and past experiences. Be organised and be thorough in your research about the company. Show your enthusiasm in the post and the industry.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 5pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
9.3
4.7/5
Date of Review: 10th Nov 2010
up
163 users have voted this review useful.