Buckinghamshire County Council Graduate Reviews

Employer: Buckinghamshire County Council
3.9
3.9/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 4 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates working at Buckinghamshire County Council to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

8.3
4.2/5
Date added: 29th March 2016 by Anonymous
Varied and rewarding work; plenty of meaningful responsibility; flexible hours; friendly, supportive, and diverse team; great learning and development opportunities.Processes often slow and arbitrary; institutional tendency to work in silos; paid less compared to private sector for similarly demanding work.
Project Support Officer
Transport, Economy, Environment
8.1
4.1/5
Date added: 23rd March 2016 by Anonymous
The company is currently going through a commercialisation process, which is very exciting to be a part of. There are currently a lot of changes happening within the council to both the structure and processes to remain efficient in a period of austerity. Within the role itself, the variety is one of the best aspects, and this is something I can't imagine you would get in the private sector (to the same degree). This role has given me the opportunity to learn a broad range of skills through working on several different projects within the Families First programme. So far, the job has been very rewarding and it is hard to identify the worst aspect. However, if I had to choose it would be the lack of extra curricular / social opportunities within the council. As I moved to a new area for the role, it was initially difficult to adapt without this opportunity to meet new people through council activities. Although, having access to the graduate network was a great benefit.
Graduate Project Officer
Children's Social Care and Learning
7.5
3.8/5
Date added: 23rd March 2016 by Anonymous
Autonomy to make the role your own. Great training opportunities. A lot of opportunity to experience other areas of work within the organisation and plenty of opportunities for career progression.Processes and systems can be archaic and cumbersome, for example finances and contracting, etc.
Community Safety Analyst
Community Safety
7.1
3.6/5
Date added: 23rd March 2016 by Anonymous
The level of autonomy I have enjoyed within my team meaning that I get the chance to succeed and fail by myself, and take these as learning points. The level of exposure you can earn in this role is also high, but has to be fought for.The structure of the graduate scheme is ineffective, giving our official line management to a third party whom we never work with and are thus low on the priorities list for. This means that issues like training have simply been left for us to chase and chase, months beyond the point when we were promised it would take place. This has led to a stronger community of graduates as we have been left to sort things out for ourselves, but is not at all what was promised in our job description upon applying for the role.
Graduate Trainee