Cancer Research UK Graduate Reviews

Employer: Cancer Research UK
4.0/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 33 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates working at Cancer Research UK to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
Development opportunities, supportive working environment, graduate network and interesting placements.
8.3
4.2/5
Office atmosphere.Salary.
Graduate trainee
Research Communications
7.7
3.9/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
Culture and bright people.Inevitably, salaries are lower than other sectors.
Senior Innovation Executive (Graduate)
Innovation
7.3
3.7/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
Really great environment, high level of job satisfaction, really prevalent cause and some amazing work being done. Great hours and generally a lot of opportunities for graduates. Processes can be slow and the organisation is fairly risk averse (for obvious reasons). Pay much less than friends who work in similar roles in other sectors which can be hard in London.
Graduate Trainee
Fundraising & Marketing
6.8
3.4/5
Date added: 22nd March 2016 by Anonymous
There is a really great positive environment and an emphasis on personal development.With such a large organisation it can be difficult to get to know what all the different teams do and therefore communication between the teams is more complicated.
Policy and Information graduate trainee
Policy and Information
8.9
4.5/5
Date added: 21st March 2016 by Anonymous
The 6-month rotation programme means we get fantastic exposure to the organisation, working with different people in different departments and getting thorough, well-rounded skills training. The people at CRUK are amazing. I keep wondering where the nasty people are - doesn't every organisation have nasty people? But 6-months in and I still haven't met a single one. We're given meaty, strategic-priority projects that are both stretching and enjoyable. In my last placement, it was easy to see how my work added real value to the organisation. The grad scheme is noticeably different from other entry-level jobs. The work-life balance is great. Everyone works hard and is truly motivated by a great cause, but we all know when to down-tools and retire to the pub after a hard week's work. Working in any large organisation has its downsides - like any other big workplace, it's sometimes difficult to coordinate all the right people in a decision and get things done. But that's normal, and I think we do it better than most.
Research Strategy and Evaluation analyst
Strategy and Research Funding
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 21st March 2016 by Anonymous
Good level of responsibility given in the placements. Interesting, wide-ranging, impactful work. Working with motivated, capable and intelligent people. A large company means that there are a lot of layers of bureaucracy and decision making to go through. Often poor communication between layers of management can lead to difficulty for the teams.
Innovation Analyst
Innovation
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 29th February 2016 by Anonymous
There's lots of scope for internal movement in the charity and it seems to be actively encouraged. This means there's plenty of opportunity to learn new skills, add variation to your job role and work with plenty of different people. Another good quality is that they put a lot of emphasis on employees learning and development and there's a department dedicated to providing training opportunities and skills workshops. The best thing about my job is that I am given the opportunity to rotate 4 times and experience different roles. I am also currently being funded to take my accountancy qualification which is making me more employable during the process and enhancing my learning in my role. The salaries will always be lower than those in corporate roles so if you're wanting to make big big bucks this might not be the place for you. Saying that they still are reasonable salaries and the work life balance is much better here than at corporate companies so it depends what you're priorities are. There are rarely people still working past 7pm here.
Career: Accountancy
Graduate trainee
Financial Control
6.8
3.4/5
Date added: 28th January 2015 by Anonymous
Working Environment. Everyone is happy to help, friendly and supportive. Location. The head office is in London and all head office jobs are in London which impacts on my future with the charity.
Graduate Trainee
Policy and Information
8.1
4.1/5
Date added: 27th January 2015 by Anonymous
Amazing passion for a brilliant cause. everyone is united in what we do. Good working hours. Challenged and not just routine. Good social aspect.
Career Sector: Arts & Media