Internal Auditor at Centrica

6.2
3.1/5
Date of Review: 02nd May 2013
up
42 users have voted this review useful.
How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
My job is to audit the effectiveness of the group's internal controls, and report these findings to the audit committee.
I often have to travel visiting different sites. I map the end to end processes of each business unit, identify where their key risks lie, and then attempt to score the quality of the controls in place to mitigate these risks.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Positives: Diversity
Opportunity to travel
Intelligent teams and colleagues.
Negatives: Difficult to balance work with study time (can clash!).
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Understanding of finance
Ability to learn on the job
Professional attitude and approach to work
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Prepare for the interview carefully and ensure you application is immaculate - the slightest mistakes will leave your application in the rubbish heap.
What are the best and worst things about your job? Best:
Structured training with strong personalities and plenty of high performers to draw inspiration from.
Worst:
Relatively small graduate team which becomes largely disengaged once the scheme has begun. However, Finance sponsor outside of graduate team takes care of graduates and largely takes over from graduate team, so any support lacking from graduate team is taken up by Finance sponsor.
Salary Comments
It can reach mid £30k after 2 years.
How could the job and company be improved?
Dedication of graduate team
Clarity on earning potential and visibility on likely rewards. We were only given clarity three months into our role, leaving 5/7 graduates slightly disenchanted with the process. Majority of finance graduates leave the scheme once complete, with I think reflects the true level of opportunity within Centrica. However, finance sponsor has recognised this churn and hopes to address in the near future.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 8amto 5pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Probably
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.