Chaucer Syndicates Graduate Reviews

Employer: Chaucer Syndicates
4.5
4.5/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 27 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates working at Chaucer Syndicates to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

Date added: 01st March 2017 by Anonymous
Use mathematics and Microsoft Excel to solve problems.It is quite a technical role so you have to be patient when learning.
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 01st March 2017 by Anonymous
Very interesting work, great team, good work/life balance, good culture, get to engage with brokers from the start, and attend the box at Lloyd's from the beginning which is essential for development.Progression could take some time.
Graduate Trainee
Property Treaty
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 06th February 2017 by Anonymous
Network of people that you meet, very dynamic and interesting environment.Time it takes to progress up the underwriting ladder. A lot of time spent on administrative tasks, before given the opportunity to work on more interesting tasks.
Underwriting Assistant - Political Violence
Underwriting Assistant
North American Property Treaty
7.9
Date added: 07th March 2016 by Anonymous
A friendly & pleasant working environment. Early responsibility in my role. Strong support networks and people always willing to help. Good social side.
Underwriting Assistant
International Casualty Treaty
8.6
4.3/5
Date added: 07th March 2016 by Anonymous
Experience gained so far, training opportunities, my team, social events, sociable working hours.Benefit programme perhaps not as good as other insurers (e.g. gym membership).
Claims handler
Claims
9.8
4.9/5
Date added: 15th February 2016 by Anonymous
One of the best parts of the company are the people who I work with. I have found that each team I have spent time with have been very welcoming and people are very approachable for any questions which you may have. The rotational aspect of the graduate scheme is great as it gives you exposure to different classes of business which Chaucer write. I've found that I have learned about industries which I didn't know very much about such as Energy and Marine Hull. The rotational aspect also helps to give you an idea of what line of business you want to specialise in when the scheme comes to an end. I have really enjoyed being able to go to Lloyd's as well as spending time in the office. When at Lloyd's I have been able to interact with brokers which is very important in the business we are in.
Graduate Trainee Underwriter
Rotational
9.3
4.7/5
Date added: 12th February 2016 by Anonymous
- First week was a kind of crash course introduction to insurance and the London market, which was really helpful as it meant we could go into our first rotation fully prepared. - Rotations are a really good way of getting to know the company as well as the different lines of business, which it writes. It also helps give you an idea where you want to work when the scheme has finished. - The scheme is very much focused on developing you as a future underwriter so we've been involved in a number of workshops etc. which serve to help hone your business skills. - Lots of support for professional qualifications. - A buddy & mentor system, which is really useful when you need a bit of advice. - Lots of responsibility from the start.
Graduate Trainee Underwriter
Treaty, Energy, Casualty, Marine
9.1
4.6/5
Date added: 12th February 2016 by Anonymous
Spending the working day between the office and Lloyd's makes my day varied. In Lloyd's there's the opportunity to interact with brokers, so there's a big social side to the job. As well as this, siting with the underwriters at Lloyd's provides the opportunity to listen in and ask questions, meaning there is an on-going opportunity to learn and develop. The Lloyd's market is fascinating and an exciting place to work; a lot of the business that comes into Lloyd's is business that brokers have struggled to place elsewhere, meaning the risks are often unusual and complex (e.g. Chaucer insurers airplanes, nuclear power plants and the launch of satellites). Getting to rotate around the underwriting teams on the graduate scheme is an excellent opportunity to learn about these specialist teams. With a large focus on learning and development, Chaucer has an active programme to train underwriters to develop the behaviours and skills needed to be a successful underwriter. With regular socials organised by the Sports & Social Committee and opportunities to play netball/football for Chaucer, Chaucer has a fun social scene!
Graduate Underwriting Assistant
Underwriting (rotational within underwriting)
8.6
4.3/5
Date added: 20th March 2015 by name_1410268935
People Work Life Balance Support towards professional developmentWork hours can vary Nature of graduate rotation means you often have to start from scratch in terms of what you can contribute
Energy Underwriting Graduate