Chaucer Syndicates Graduate Reviews

Employer: Chaucer Syndicates
Sector:
4.5
4.5/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 23 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates working at Chaucer Syndicates to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

7.9
Date added: 07th March 2016 by Anonymous
A friendly & pleasant working environment. Early responsibility in my role. Strong support networks and people always willing to help. Good social side.
Underwriting Assistant
International Casualty Treaty
8.6
4.3/5
Date added: 07th March 2016 by Anonymous
Experience gained so far, training opportunities, my team, social events, sociable working hours.Benefit programme perhaps not as good as other insurers (e.g. gym membership).
Claims handler
Claims
9.8
4.9/5
Date added: 15th February 2016 by Anonymous
One of the best parts of the company are the people who I work with. I have found that each team I have spent time with have been very welcoming and people are very approachable for any questions which you may have. The rotational aspect of the graduate scheme is great as it gives you exposure to different classes of business which Chaucer write. I've found that I have learned about industries which I didn't know very much about such as Energy and Marine Hull. The rotational aspect also helps to give you an idea of what line of business you want to specialise in when the scheme comes to an end. I have really enjoyed being able to go to Lloyd's as well as spending time in the office. When at Lloyd's I have been able to interact with brokers which is very important in the business we are in.
Graduate Trainee Underwriter
Rotational
9.3
4.7/5
Date added: 12th February 2016 by Anonymous
- First week was a kind of crash course introduction to insurance and the London market, which was really helpful as it meant we could go into our first rotation fully prepared. - Rotations are a really good way of getting to know the company as well as the different lines of business, which it writes. It also helps give you an idea where you want to work when the scheme has finished. - The scheme is very much focused on developing you as a future underwriter so we've been involved in a number of workshops etc. which serve to help hone your business skills. - Lots of support for professional qualifications. - A buddy & mentor system, which is really useful when you need a bit of advice. - Lots of responsibility from the start.
Graduate Trainee Underwriter
Treaty, Energy, Casualty, Marine
9.1
4.6/5
Date added: 12th February 2016 by Anonymous
Spending the working day between the office and Lloyd's makes my day varied. In Lloyd's there's the opportunity to interact with brokers, so there's a big social side to the job. As well as this, siting with the underwriters at Lloyd's provides the opportunity to listen in and ask questions, meaning there is an on-going opportunity to learn and develop. The Lloyd's market is fascinating and an exciting place to work; a lot of the business that comes into Lloyd's is business that brokers have struggled to place elsewhere, meaning the risks are often unusual and complex (e.g. Chaucer insurers airplanes, nuclear power plants and the launch of satellites). Getting to rotate around the underwriting teams on the graduate scheme is an excellent opportunity to learn about these specialist teams. With a large focus on learning and development, Chaucer has an active programme to train underwriters to develop the behaviours and skills needed to be a successful underwriter. With regular socials organised by the Sports & Social Committee and opportunities to play netball/football for Chaucer, Chaucer has a fun social scene!
Graduate Underwriting Assistant
Underwriting (rotational within underwriting)
8.6
4.3/5
Date added: 20th March 2015 by name_1410268935
People Work Life Balance Support towards professional developmentWork hours can vary Nature of graduate rotation means you often have to start from scratch in terms of what you can contribute
Energy Underwriting Graduate
9.3
4.7/5
Date added: 19th March 2015 by Anonymous
The best thing about Chaucer are the people that work there. Everyone is very friendly and approachable, including the more senior members of staff. There are regular social events organised by the company which make it easy to meet new people both within and outside the business. The company offers excellent training and development opportunities. This includes being allowed to study for the ACII insurance qualification, for which you are given a generous amount of study days. There is a variety of interesting tasks to do each day, which enable you to get first hand experience of how the Lloyds' insurance market works. Studying for examinations after work is sometimes difficult. However, it is manageable, especially due to the fact we are given ample study leave.
Enterprise Risk Graduate
Risk Management
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 16th March 2015 by Anonymous
The experience gained across various parts of the organisation, people I work with, work-life balanceNo gym membership included
Non Marine Claims Graduate
Claims
9.7
4.9/5
Date added: 12th March 2015 by Anonymous
-Rotations provide a wider view of the business & help you build a network -Buddy & Mentor schemes really help in settling in -Good training & development opportunities -Regular sports & social events
Enterprise Risk Graduate
Date added: 29th January 2015 by Anonymous
The best thing about Chaucer are the people. Everyone is very approachable and friendly and make the time to help you settle in and learn. The company is very sociable with there being regular events for staff which is a great opportunity to meet people. The rotational aspect of the graduate scheme also allows you to get to know people across the business. There is a big push to complete professional qualifications and the company provides in house training and a lot of support for this which is great for development. At times it can be a struggle to fit in study with work; however, it is definitely manageable.
Underwriting Graduate Trainee