Job Review
Consultant, Support Desk at CHP Consulting
at Alfa

I am part of a small team consisting of 4 other individuals. We collectively make up a support desk that provides support for clients who run their leasing portfolio on our finance application. The role involve answering general enquiries on how to perform certain transactions on the application as well as investigating any possible application bugs. There is also a fair amount of financial reconciliatory work. I will correspond with my clients via email and phone calls on most days.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
The working environment is fairly relaxed and people will often share a story or a joke throughout the day. There is a good sense of community spirit and this is supported by a number of company events/drinks. Major project landmarks can be celebrated by a project jolly abroad, (e.g. Miami, Reykjavik).
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Prospective candidates need a 2:1 from a good university in any discipline. What really sets people apart at interview are their softer consultancy skills.
Describe the perfect person for this job
You should have a keen interest in technology and finance and be prepared to spend most of your time developing/reviewing computer code in the junior ranks. Be a good learner and be pro-active by nature. Be willing to commute to client sites and/or to live in a company flat if the distance is too great to commute daily.
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I was expecting the work to be more technically demanding. The use of better known and more modern computer programming languages is dependent upon project role. After the first couple of years the amount of internal and external training available/approved rapidly drops off which is a pity.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
You will be asked questions you couldn't possibly know the answer to. However it's the manner in which you formulate a logic answer that's under test. Don't rush. Make sensible assumptions and proceed from there. Relax and smile.
What hours do you actually work, on average? N/Ato N/A.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Probably
If there is anything else you feel is missing from your job review please add it here...
Java programming skills are currently highly sought after.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Career Sector:
7.5
3.8/5
Date of Review: 03rd Aug 2010
up
145 users have voted this review useful.