Software System Developer, Eclipse IDE Plugin Development at Micro Focus

7.3
3.7/5
Date of Review: 04th Apr 2013
up
38 users have voted this review useful.
How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
My job is to develop Eclipse plugins to customise the Eclipse IDE for COBOL development. I am responsible for developing plugins and answering customer care questions related to the IDE.
I write Java code to customise the Eclipse IDE. My team consists of 5 developers. Since we follow the scrum methodology, we do have daily status scrum meetings. We do peer code review for others work, before committing it into the source repository.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Positives: Core Development in Java. For someone who is interested in pure development role, this would be one of the best positions..
Negatives: Sometimes your work could go outside estimated time due to unforeseen issues..
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Java programming knowledge
Windows/ Linux Os knowledge
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Learn Java.
Since developer is doing everything related to work (machine setup, installation etc), try to understand and learn everything you come across in real life related to IT.
What are the best and worst things about your job? Best:
You could take responsibilities if you are capable.

Benefits like Medical/dental cover, pension, insurance, reduced gym membership, free drinks etc.

Great technically sound colleagues.

No formal dress code
Worst:
Some colleagues are rude

What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
Working hours 9am to 5.30 pm including 1 hour lunch break.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
If there is anything else you feel is missing from your job review please add it here...
Nothing...
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.