National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
• We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
• We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
• Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
• We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
• National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry -0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
• Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
National Grid in the US:
• National Grid delivers electricity to approximately 3.4 million customers in New England and upstate New York
• We own 3.8 gigawatts of contracted electricity generation, providing power to over one million LIPA customers
• We are the largest distributor of natural gas in northeastern U.S., serving approximately 3.5 million customers in New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
At National Grid we’re passionate about our “grow our own strategy” and our suite of GCSE to degree level career path development programmes. It’s little wonder that they are recognised for excellence and innovation – after all, we’ve been running some for well over 23 years - so they are some of the best you’ll find anywhere.
Our Graduate Development Programme offers a fantastic insight into a number of career paths within National Grid that are crucial to its future success.
· Technical Engineer
· IT- Information Services
The 18 month programme (36 months for Finance Analyst) has been designed to accelerate your development by offering you key experiences and knowledge in your relevant career paths, ensuring you are ready and prepared for this demanding role at the end of the training.
The training is a great blend of technical specialism combined with business and commercial insight and fast enhancement of your behavioural, personal and managerial capabilities. Typically the sort of training you would only experience after a few years with an organisation. We believe that by investing in you now it will provide greater returns in the future.
Employers constantly tell us that there is nothing that impresses them more than a graduate who has properly researched the company and really knows why they want to work there - so make sure that you tell them in your application that you have read-up all about them on TheJobCrowd and so you really know what makes that company great and why they are right for you. It will help your application, we promise!
Employer overall size: