Job Review
Project Manager, Information Management at Network Rail
at Network Rail

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
I deliver IT solutions that support and enhance business processes within Network Rail. As a project manager I plan, control and monitor the progress of projects.
Depending on the stage that the project is at, what I do day to day varies. But as an overview I conduct many meetings with the project sponsor and team to provide updates on the projects progress. I maintain a risk and issue register to highlight areas for concern. I create and maintain the project plan, which determines when a task will be done, who will carry it out and its percentage completion, updating it when progress is made and so tracking the progress we make against it. I report periodically to the project management office with the projects financial information - the cost of work done and the forecast. I also work with external suppliers, driving for the best value. Along with the project sponsor I make sure stakeholder expectations are managed and the project remains on course to reach its objectives and deliver the agreed benefits.

I am responsible for the successfully delivery of the projects I manage.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
The main positives about being an IT project manager is the potential difference you can make to the organisation and industry you work in. We are the enablers for many aspects that can improve business performance. And there is a huge sense of achievement when you can say you have delivered a successful system that has enhanced an area of the business.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Degree: To get a place on the graduate scheme you need any degree above a 2.2.
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I have been given a huge amount of responsibility sooner than I ever expected. And this for me has been a major positive.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Research the company before you show up for the interview. If you really want the job let it show, enthusiasm counts for a lot in assessment centres. The training you need you get on the job, so what employers are looking for is your attitude and ability to learn rather than your existing skills.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 5pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
9.3
4.7/5
Date of Review: 12th Nov 2010
up
149 users have voted this review useful.