At Smith & Williamson, we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The graduate programme is a three year structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our business tax team provides tax and consulting services to a wide range of companies, from quoted multinational groups to owner-managed businesses. Our tax advice is designed to meet our clients' agreed commercial objectives considering all relevant taxes, not only corporation tax. We provide practical advice, we regularly negotiate with HM Revenue & Customs and members of our team sit on a number of leading professional and industry committees.
What will I be doing?
We believe that hands-on experience is key to creating well-rounded trusted business advisers. As part of our business tax team, you'll work alongside senior tax professionals with a range of expertise, this means you'll be doing real work from the outset.
Duties of the Tax Trainee role are as follows:
- Assist with research assignments and drafting technical documentation
- Assisting other group members in professional work and providing support where required
- Supporting more qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Acquire and build relationship with your own clients and begin to supervise new trainees after approximately one year
- Compliance assurance
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the ATT and CTA qualifications
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Take a diligent and efficient approach to work
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
During your three year training contract you will study for the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) and Chartered Taxation Adviser (CTA) qualifications. In the first year, this could mean anything from HM Revenue & Customs liaison to ad hoc research for partners, by the second year you will be managing your own clients and may be able to take up opportunities for secondments across the firm.
Deadline (other info):
Ongoing – we recruit on a rolling basis so apply ASAP.
Birmingham, Bristol, Guildford and London
• Must have or be on course for at least a strong second class honours degree in any discipline • 300 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies) • GCSE English and maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B
Stage 1 - complete our online application form Stage 2 - online verbal and numerical reasoning test Stage 3 - assessment centre Stage 4 - first round interview Stage 5 - final round interview