Smith & Williamson Reviews

Employer: Smith & Williamson
4.0/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 95 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates and apprentices working at Smith & Williamson to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

9.2
4.6/5
Date added: 14th March 2017 by Anonymous
The culture and the diversity of work!Combining the work with the studies is tough when you're a trainee but the firm gives you plenty of support - make sure you use it properly!
Senior
ABS
7.2
3.6/5
Date added: 14th March 2017 by Anonymous
People, training and development.IT systems but the firm are already investing in big changes so I expect these to improve.
8.9
4.5/5
Date added: 14th March 2017 by Anonymous
Lots of responsibility from day one.IT systems - but they are putting a lot of money into updating this.
Audit
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 24th February 2017 by Anonymous
The exposure to a variety of clients and the people and the culture of the firm.In the busy seasons there are long hours.
Tax Trainee
Private Client Tax
7.2
3.6/5
Date added: 23rd February 2017 by Anonymous
It's never boring, there is always work to be done. Additionally, I am not always in the office, I find myself out on client sites at least once a month which makes the job exciting. There aren't that many benefits.
Apprentice Audit
ABS
6.4
3.2/5
Date added: 23rd February 2017 by Anonymous
Colleagues - there is a really nice team of people in the office.You do still have to do a lot of admin jobs which is sometimes a bit tedious.
Tax trainee
Audit
6.8
3.4/5
Date added: 23rd February 2017 by Anonymous
Everyone in the office is really friendly, it's easy to ask for help when you first start and with the college time you're really fed through the exams and learn loads, especially in your first few months. We have great office perks such as dress down Friday, partners drinks and cake for all occasions!You need to be prepared to put in lots of hours, not necessarily at work, although there are busy times but in terms of the studying. The firm give you all the time for going to college and taking the exams but there's an expectation that you study in your spare time to ensure passes. The exams are not easy, but with enough preparation they are achievable. The study time is spaced out so we have a month or so of college in February with exams in March, then the same in November and December, so there's plenty of time when you don't need to study. A few years of hard work is well worth it for such a well-recognised qualification.
Asurance and Business Services
7.4
3.7/5
Date added: 21st February 2017 by Anonymous
The exposure to a wide variety of different areas of personal tax and the responsibility given to me.The technology I use to do the job.
Semi-Senior
Private Client Tax Services
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 20th February 2017 by Anonymous
Work/life balance, colleagues are really friendly and there is a good group of graduates who we socialise with. All of the senior people within the firm are friendly and very happy to discuss their views on the market at any time. The rotation scheme, although a bit slow to start, is great for meeting people around the company and especially when you get to the investment floor for getting to know the important people around the floor. Overall work life balance is a highlight and given the hours we work our salary is amongst the best of my uni peers on a hours:pay ratio.The first year can be a bit slow at times before one gets placed onto a team and depending on the rotations they can be quite admin heavy. Which desk you end up on has quite a large impact on the start of your career and so being placed on a bad one can be disappointing.
Trainee Investment Manager