Job Review
Assistant Consultant, Transport Consultant, Advisory at Steer Davies Gleave
at Steer Davies Gleave

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
Provision of analytical and advisory support for the transport industry. I am responsible for conducting numerical analysis, carrying out market research and spreadsheet modelling for public and private sector clients.
I generally have a couple of projects on the go, each with different teams and managers.
There is a lot of interaction with colleagues, and (depending on the project) with the client too, both face to face and via email/phone.
Some days I have a lot of spreadsheet-based modelling (e.g. for appraisals) or data analysis for surveys we have commissioned or using existing data sources.
I also get involved with the design elements of some projects, such as preparing maps.
Other tasks can be more word-based, such as drafting reports describing our findings, or preparing documents such as travel plans and policy reviews.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Working on interesting projects in which I feel I can contribute and make a difference.
Variety of work in terms of the type of transport and skills involved.
Responsibility given to graduates is much greater than I had previously experienced.
No negatives!
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Good communication skils, an interest in transport. Numerical skills and ability to work with spreadsheets (although this varies depending on the type of work you get involved in)
Confidence
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Brush up on knowledge of transport sector
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
8.2
4.1/5
Date of Review: 02nd Sep 2011
up
106 users have voted this review useful.