Wellcome Trust Reviews

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates and apprentices working at Wellcome Trust to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

8.3
4.2/5
Date added: 24th September 2016 by Anonymous
From day one, everyone was really friendly and welcoming. It's great to work among like-minded people who are all so passionate about their job and Wellcome's ethos of improving health for everyone. As an intern, I was made to feel part of a really supportive team and given real responsibility and the independence to take on important projects which actually mattered. I took on a variety of tasks which I thoroughly enjoyed- from organising talks from funded researchers to planning communications for a new health and wellbeing initiative, to writing copy for intranet articles. The internship programme is very well thought out. Aside from the day-to-day duties in my role, I had the chance to attend careers talks, workshops and participate in a community volunteering day. I worked on a group project with other interns, which gave me great exposure to the organisation as a whole and enabled me to do research in another department (Policy) something which, before Wellcome, I hadn't realised how much I would enjoy. It's set the bar high for other prospective employers!
Internal Communications
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 23rd September 2016 by Anonymous
The supportive nature of the company and how I was given responsibility despite not being at the Trust for long.
Career Sector: Banking and Finance
Commercial Finance & Financial Accounting
9.6
4.8/5
Date added: 01st September 2016 by Anonymous
It encourages personal and professional development and offers so many opportunities to do so. It gives time, support and resources to achieve goals.
Humanities and Social Science Research Funding
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 31st August 2016 by Anonymous
-The careers advice we are offered; from careers talks from important colleagues, interview practice sessions, CV help and support from members of the Graduate programme. -The food in the two canteens is amazing and extremely cheap! -Everyone is so friendly and happy to meet up for a coffee so you can find out what their role and background is. This meant I met loads of interesting people who were helpful for discussing career development. -The lunchtime talks which are held weekly are a really interesting way to find out about the work that Wellcome funds; from information on researching Ebola in Sierra Leone, to information on Animals within Research Policy. I was constantly learning and developing ideas and opinions. The best thing about my job in the Insight and Analysis department: -Getting to work on projects I felt would contribute to wider areas of the Wellcome Trust. And also on a variety of projects with different members of the team to get an idea of the breadth of work that is covered. -Fortnightly workshops on different analysis techniques which meant I was always learning. -We also worked on a cross-departmental internship project which helped us engage with different areas of Wellcome and meet lots of different people. -I also got the opportunity to do some analysis work for International Engagement team and attend a few meetings with the Wellcome priority area 'Our Planet, Our Health' which really relates to my Geography degree. Having to leave!
Insight and Analysis Internship
Insight and Analysis
9.3
4.7/5
Date added: 31st August 2016 by Anonymous
Positive work environment. Good level of respect given to interns. The appropriate level of responsibility given to interns.Not much.
Policy Intern
Policy
7.7
3.9/5
Date added: 25th February 2016 by Anonymous
The best thing about working at Wellcome is the flexibility the graduate scheme offers. The two-year programme is split into four six-month rotations and there is the potential to spend each rotation in almost any department within the organisation. That means that everyone gets a very different experience. It's possible to spend most of your rotations in departments working across a similar area, e.g. Communications or Funding, or alternatively to do a really varied range of roles. The work and remit of the organisation is so broad, meaning there are so many very different options. I joined Wellcome not really knowing what I wanted to do in the long-term and the scheme has really helped me focus in on the types of roles that I enjoy and can thrive in.The worst thing is that there is not a clear process for how a place on the graduate scheme could turn into a permanent role. It is often the case that teams are really impressed with the graduates who spend six-months working with them, but it is very rare for this to translate into the offer of a longer-term contract. Some graduates do stay on at Wellcome beyond the two-year scheme, but in the vast majority of cases, this is due to a role coming up when someone else leaves or when a team gets sign-off from very senior management to create a new role. Currently it feels like you might get a job after the graduate scheme if you're in the right place at the right time, rather than the organisation making it possible for teams to recruit a graduate who performed well when working with them.
Graduate Development Programme
6.9
3.5/5
Date added: 18th February 2016 by Anonymous
The best thing about my job is the flexibility, experience and variation I get from being on a Graduate Scheme in an organisation that does a vast range of exciting and different things. The Wellcome Trust is a fascinating organisation to work for and contains many people from different career/working backgrounds, which means there are a lot of different skills to draw on and learn from and many different styles of working.Since it's such a large organisation it takes time to get to grips with all the things it does and also establish fruitful relationships with people across the organisation. Sometimes it can take a long time for things to be decided and get off the ground due to internal processes and open timelines.
Rotations
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 17th February 2016 by Anonymous
Having autonomy over your work. A great atmosphere, friendly colleagues and really interesting subject matter. Fantastic benefits (restaurants, gym, bar, study schemes).With such diverse work, moving teams can sometimes be challenging, taking some time to adjust to different working styles.
7.2
3.6/5
Date added: 17th February 2016 by Anonymous
The variety of activity that goes on under the Wellcome roof is astounding. It is endlessly interesting talking and working alongside people here - people come to the organisation with such a variety of backgrounds. Bringing completely new perspectives with them, and yet there is such a strong sense of shared vision at the same time, which makes for a very dynamic work environment. I feel like Wellcome is restless in the best possible way - it doesn't settle for doing things the "done way", on the contrary, it makes a concerted effort to push boundaries.It is sometimes difficult to imagine what a long career at Wellcome would look like as some of the positions are quite specialised and don't necessarily lend themselves to logical promotion within the Trust.
7.6
3.8/5
Date added: 18th January 2016 by Anonymous
The company is genuinely great to work for because of the unique and valuable nature of what they do, the huge variety of fascinating things that take place here, and the excellent benefits that staff are offered. The opportunity for graduate trainees to undertake rotations in (almost) any department is also very special and sets the programme apart from other similar schemes. It means that it possible to work in areas as diverse as policy, communications, IT, the library etc. which can be a really good experience if you are at the beginning of your career. In my experience graduate trainees are not always offered a huge amount of responsibility, which can be frustrating. The scheme is fairly new and as a result there are some problems - the system for allocating rotations is not perfect, for example. I imagine that these issues will improve with time, however.
Graduate Development Programme