WH Smith Reviews

Employer: WH Smith
Sector: Retail
3.8
3.8/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 21 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates and apprentices working at WH Smith to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 02nd March 2017 by Anonymous
Product development of future ranges. Fast pace atmosphere. Never bored.The company is very data focused - financials are my weakest area so this would be the worst thing, however I am developing my skills in this area and there has been a lot of support given to me.
Graduate Trainee Buyer
Seasonal Stationery
8.8
4.4/5
Date added: 24th February 2017 by Anonymous
Learning new things and taking advantage of the in house training available.Work can be slow paced as I am new to WHSmith and have to wait for work to be fed to me.
Graduate Buyer
News and Magazines
Voted Useful by 1 Person
8.2
4.1/5
Date added: 24th February 2017 by Anonymous
Promotion chances. Hours are pretty well set if you can manage your time well.In my opinion, not much. The most difficult thing is some of the people externally that need dealing with.
International Project Manager
International
Date added: 08th February 2017 by Anonymous
Exposure to senior levels.Limited progression opportunities.
Career: Accountancy
Graduate Finance Analyst
Finance
Voted Useful by 1 Person
5.3
2.7/5
Date added: 26th February 2016 by Anonymous
Meet people from all different areas of the business.
Career Sector: Buying and Selling
Trainee Buyer
Core Stationery
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 24th February 2016 by Anonymous
I get to do something I love and not have to move around the company. I knew I wanted to be in IT so a rotational placement would of been a bad choice for me.It can take a little while to get into the role and you need to learn quickly the processes since the work is so fast paced!
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 05th February 2016 by Anonymous
Get good exposure to people at different levels in the company early on.
Commercial Planner
Commerical
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 04th February 2016 by Anonymous
The people, autonomy and responsibility given.
7.6
3.8/5
Date added: 03rd February 2016 by Anonymous
Lots of responsibility since the beginning of the scheme - Very hands on approach and lots of work to do due to the growing nature of the business. WH Smith willing to invest money into the graduates through setting up regular training schemes, sending graduates to different countries or events which are relevant to their role and setting up business overview days with higher management to meet people and understand their career development (very useful to know who does what!) WH Smith has two head offices - From my experience working in the London office, the team is surprisingly small for a retailer who has a strong national and growing international presence so graduates are exposed to more elements of the business than if they were in a larger retailer. The work environment is really positive with a friendly atmosphere. Flexi time is an option for the office although most people stick to normal working hours (9-5, finish at 4 on a Friday as well as dress down Friday which is promoted and exercised by higher management). Scheme is 6 months fast track rather than rotational so you don't have to spend time working in a department you know you won't ever work in again - subsidised by the overview day to get an understanding of what the main departments/people do.Graduates have to complete a project as part of the graduate scheme and present back to the board of directors - Encouraged by project sponsors to carry out trials in store but not given much direction on the steps to take or individuals to consult with, making the process more difficult and frustrating when trying to meet deadlines. Also quite difficult to carry out such a big project on the side of working a full time job as both have deadlines. Some workshops and business overview days get cancelled - have been known to be last minute cancellations which can be frustrating if you have organised your working week around these allocated days. Some get rescheduled, but others don't. At the start of the scheme, we were told about reviewing our progress every month however I have yet to have a review day. Also, we have yet to have a formal meeting to inform us what the process is after the graduate scheme ends (3 weeks left). Would like to know what happens with our job roles and have a contract signed to know we have job security.
International Business Development
International
6.5
3.3/5
Date added: 13th February 2015 by Anonymous
Challenging, fast paced environment with a really good team of people who work hard and support each other to deliver difficult goals. Very good opportunities for progression with line managers who always push you to acheive highly and develop as a professional and individual.Very intense workload requirements and a large amount of time is given over to analysing past performance rather than planning ahead. Company has a tendency to be overly reactionary and data focussed at the expense of customer needs.
Assistany Buyer