WH Smith Graduate Reviews

Employer: WH Smith
Sector: Retail
3.7
3.7/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 17 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates working at WH Smith to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

5.3
2.7/5
Date added: 26th February 2016 by Anonymous
Meet people from all different areas of the business.
Career Sector: Buying and Selling
Trainee Buyer
Core Stationery
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 24th February 2016 by Anonymous
I get to do something I love and not have to move around the company. I knew I wanted to be in IT so a rotational placement would of been a bad choice for me.It can take a little while to get into the role and you need to learn quickly the processes since the work is so fast paced!
8.4
4.2/5
Date added: 05th February 2016 by Anonymous
Get good exposure to people at different levels in the company early on.
Commercial Planner
Commerical
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 04th February 2016 by Anonymous
The people, autonomy and responsibility given.
7.6
3.8/5
Date added: 03rd February 2016 by Anonymous
Lots of responsibility since the beginning of the scheme - Very hands on approach and lots of work to do due to the growing nature of the business. WH Smith willing to invest money into the graduates through setting up regular training schemes, sending graduates to different countries or events which are relevant to their role and setting up business overview days with higher management to meet people and understand their career development (very useful to know who does what!) WH Smith has two head offices - From my experience working in the London office, the team is surprisingly small for a retailer who has a strong national and growing international presence so graduates are exposed to more elements of the business than if they were in a larger retailer. The work environment is really positive with a friendly atmosphere. Flexi time is an option for the office although most people stick to normal working hours (9-5, finish at 4 on a Friday as well as dress down Friday which is promoted and exercised by higher management). Scheme is 6 months fast track rather than rotational so you don't have to spend time working in a department you know you won't ever work in again - subsidised by the overview day to get an understanding of what the main departments/people do.Graduates have to complete a project as part of the graduate scheme and present back to the board of directors - Encouraged by project sponsors to carry out trials in store but not given much direction on the steps to take or individuals to consult with, making the process more difficult and frustrating when trying to meet deadlines. Also quite difficult to carry out such a big project on the side of working a full time job as both have deadlines. Some workshops and business overview days get cancelled - have been known to be last minute cancellations which can be frustrating if you have organised your working week around these allocated days. Some get rescheduled, but others don't. At the start of the scheme, we were told about reviewing our progress every month however I have yet to have a review day. Also, we have yet to have a formal meeting to inform us what the process is after the graduate scheme ends (3 weeks left). Would like to know what happens with our job roles and have a contract signed to know we have job security.
International Business Development
International
6.5
3.3/5
Date added: 13th February 2015 by Anonymous
Challenging, fast paced environment with a really good team of people who work hard and support each other to deliver difficult goals. Very good opportunities for progression with line managers who always push you to acheive highly and develop as a professional and individual.Very intense workload requirements and a large amount of time is given over to analysing past performance rather than planning ahead. Company has a tendency to be overly reactionary and data focussed at the expense of customer needs.
Assistany Buyer
Buying
5.5
2.8/5
Date added: 13th February 2015 by Anonymous
Small head office with good culture and people, making senior management easily accessible. Being 'thrown in a deep end' with regards to my day job enhances my development.Not really a 'graduate scheme' as such, more like we're given a job with a graduate project to work on, on the side which is over after 7-8 months. This is good for responsibility and time management, but perhaps a clearer stucture, with quarterly or 6 month rotations in different departments would be more beneficial with regards to understanding the retail environment in greater depth by the time the scheme is over.
8.1
4.1/5
Date added: 05th February 2015 by Anonymous
Straight into work on my first day, days can be very busy but time flies here! Everyone is very approachable and helpful, which quelled any worries I had of not being capable of meeting the fast paced demands of the business.As you develop on the graduate scheme you are still expected to work as a "regular" employee, which is great for experience but can sometimes mean workload can be very demanding as you try and balance both graduate work/workshops with everyday tasks and ad hoc requirements.
Career: Accountancy
Finance Graduate
Finance
7.1
3.6/5
Date added: 05th February 2015 by Anonymous
Most of the people are a pleasure to work with. Good opportunities are offered to valuable people. The Graduate Scheme has been ambiguous at time, it doesn't feel like it has been thought through and planned really well. The workplace (Greenbridge Head Office) is not ideal - building and facilities are not at their best, in winter especially.
Graduate Buyer
Books
7.5
3.8/5
Date added: 04th February 2015 by Anonymous
The best thing about WHSmith is that the company is very transparent and dynamic. The company and its employees are very supportive, it is a great place to work and the culture is very respecting of everyone. Being a graduate, I was welcomed by everyone on my first day from the chief executive to previous graduate who had been in the same position several years ago. In the finance team there is a very good team culture and we all work together to get what we need to do, done. In my specific role I enjoy the variety of responsibility from working with external stakeholders to completing ad hoc requests for the managing director. I am constantly learning and progressing my knowledge everyday and within WHSmith the company has opened doors for me to learn parts of other employees jobs to improve my knowledge within the finance team.The worst thing about WHSmith is not the company itself, it is the environment in which the company operates which makes everyday an uphill challenge. Being a retail company there is a lot of pressure and competition to improve performance and this means dealing with alot of different things some planned some unplanned which becomes tiring. This however can be expected within any job.
Career: Accountancy