In Risk Management we are responsible for providing Management and the Board(s) of Directors with assurance that Swiss Re has the resources to meet our obligations – whether this be financial resources in the form of reserves or capital – as well as ensuring that the techniques used to price business are adequate. We do this by offering independent opinion, challenge and oversight in these areas and so ensure that Swiss Re can meet its promise to pay claims while making Swiss Re resilient and ensuring that we can continue to make the world more resilient. You will make sure that our Boards and Management are aware and understand the risks we face in these areas by bringing a broad and long-term perspective to protect Swiss Re’s reputation and financial strength and in this way help ensure Swiss Re’s profitability and sustainable growth.
About the Team
As a member of the team you are involved in a broad range of work and work closely with finance and actuarial teams involved in reserving, financial reporting and capital management. Key areas of focus are:
Providing independent review/opinion, challenge and oversight over actuarial methods, reserves and capital methodology making use of data science techniques;
Provide an independent opinion on whether a model is appropriate for its intended use and whether it is designed with sound rationale. Model Validator’s are expected to specify the limitations and assess uncertainties in the output given by the model, and identify areas of model risk that model owners/developers will need to mitigate and/or monitor for the model to be used;
The team’s remit is global and spans both Life & Health as well as Property & Casualty business and provides support to the Group Chief Actuary and Group CRO. Our team is also small and geographically dispersed, providing the opportunity to work in a variety of areas – both in terms of location or area of the business.
- You have successfully completed your university degree in a quantitative field like mathematics or equivalent
- You have a curious nature with the ability to break down complexity into simple concepts
- You have confirmed analytical skills; can pay attention to details without losing track of the bigger picture
- You have a strong interest in/dedication to learn about insurance/reinsurance
- You are a creative streak and are able to use your own initiative
- You have experience using programming/scripting languages (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python, SAS)
- You have experience in handling large and complex data sets
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with good spoken and written English