We are looking for an exceptional graduate to join the Continental Europe (CE) Life & Health (L&H) Actuarial Management team as an associate, based in either London or Zurich, working on the financial reporting and actuarial management of our in-force reinsurance business in EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa). The role has a high degree of autonomy, working with and supported by the best industry professionals, giving a great opportunity for learning and growth. Excellent analytical and numerical skills are important, and an understanding of life and health insurance products would be an advantage.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of quarterly financial results for assigned segments of the portfolio on several reporting bases (US GAAP, best estimate and various statutory bases)
- Analysing movements in profits, validating and reporting on the main drivers of the differences
- Presenting results to the Head of CE L&H Actuarial Management as well as to Finance colleagues and other teams at Swiss Re
- Developing a deep understanding of assigned lines of business
- Providing actuarial input in to cross-functional teams working on the ongoing management of the in-force portfolio; producing management information that aids deeper understanding of the business, identifying and helping to realise opportunities to improve profitability
- Involvement in consolidation of financial results for the entire EMEA L&H portfolio
- Assisting in proposal/review of demographic assumptions (e.g. best estimate mortality rates)
- Reviewing and validating the financial impacts of changes to assumptions, methodology and models
About the team
As the world’s leading reinsurance company, Swiss Re, based in Zurich, specialises in providing solutions to capital and risk management problems. We combine financial strength with experience, knowledge and creative thought to exploit new opportunities in the interests of our clients, staff and shareholders. Our team contributes to these goals by analysing and communicating on the performance of the company’s L&H reinsurance business, measuring the amount of reserves needed and looking for early indications of risks and opportunities to improve the profitability. The team in EMEA consists of around 80 people, spread across a number of different locations including London, Zurich and Bangalore.
- Analytical thinker with an inquisitive approach to problem solving
- Able to draw conclusions and develop practical solutions
- Keen to learn and develop your own skills and knowledge
- Willing to take responsibility for handling your own workload with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A standout colleague who can work collaboratively, develop a personal network and contribute effectively to cross-team projects
- Able to communicate technical ideas effectively to both peers and senior management
- Studying a numerate subject, and willing to work towards a goal of qualification as an actuary.
- Fluent in English (oral and written) – knowledge of at least one other major European language would be advantageous.