Job Review
Graduate scheme HR role, Graduate Scheme at Barratt Developments
at Barratt Developments

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
The scheme is unlike a specific job role as I spend four months in each HR team (Policy & Reward, Talent and Operations), then partake in divisional rotations for six months, before choosing a specialism for the final six months. Once you 'graduate' the programme the organisation will place you within your specialism area.
There is a lot of learning and shadowing involved to begin with, as you need to get an idea of the business, but so far I have written and amended policies, provided employment law updates, rebranded literature, I am also involved in an employment tribunal investigation and on the committee for two working parties. I am soon to start co-facilitating training courses and taking part in the recruitment process for next years graduate programme.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Everyone is very keen to get your opinion and input, and a real emphasis is put on graduate development. We attend courses and meetings every quarter, and are allocated a coach, mentor and buddy upon starting the scheme. I really do feel supported and not just put into a role and left to 'grow organically'.
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Degree: A minimum level 2:1 degree qualification, not subject specific.
Employment Experience: Experience will be a big advantage but not essential.
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I did not expect so much focus on my development, and really do feel supported. Everyone has treated me with a lot of respect, from the receptionists to the MDs.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
A lot of research into HR itself - either experience or an interest. Housing developer knowledge is important.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
8.8
4.4/5
Date of Review: 08th Nov 2010
up
161 users have voted this review useful.