Job Review
Junior Research Analyst, Media Research and Analysis at Enders Analysis
at Enders Analysis

How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
My job is do the research behind our subscriber reports and consultancy presentations on a range of topics including the internet, music, newspaper, magazine and television industries. I am responsible for everything from collecting the data, analysing it in Excel and presenting it visually in PowerPoint. I also proof-read many of our reports.
Research involves looking through company press releases, searching for annual reports and consumer surveys online and using the data services Enders subscribes to (eg ComScore). Analysing the data involves working with Excel to quite an advanced level in order to understand the key trends. Presenting the data involves finding the best chart or series of charts to clearly illustrate the key trends visually. I also have to consider the broader narrative of the report/presentation, i.e. what we are trying to say about the future of magazines in the UK? Ultimately, this is the senior analysts responsibility and, in the final stage of a project, it will get thrown back and forward between us over several days as a narrative gets hammered out. I talk over the project with whichever senior analyst is responsible for that sector
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Learning new things every day; being intellectually challenged; having the freedom to be creative (with charts)
What qualifications and skills are needed to be great at this job?
Good university degree (none in particular), Excel and PowerPoint skills, attention to detail, some kind of internship with a similar company
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I didn't realise I would be expected to work over my hours; I didn't expect to find the final stages of getting a presentation together exciting; I didn't know Enders Analysis was in the papers as much as it was; and I never thought I would find distilling a ton of data into a chart quite so satisfying.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Be clued up on at least one area of our research. For example, read the Media Guardian every week or listen to BBC Radio 4 Media Show.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Probably
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Job Title:
6.5
3.3/5
Date of Review: 08th Sep 2010
up
203 users have voted this review useful.