Trainee at Latham & Watkins

Job Title:
Trainee
Location:
England - Greater London
How long have you been at the company?:
6month-1yr
Salary:
£41,000 - £43,000
Average Rating:
8.2
4.1/5
Date of Review: 18th Feb 2014
up
11 users have voted this review useful.
What are the best and worst things about your job? Best:
The level of responsibility I am given with work, and the freedom we enjoy. I in no way feel like 'bottom of the pile' or as if my life is subject to the whim of more senior members of the firm, as I expected I would. When I am delegated work I am expected to manage the workload myself, ask questions where necessary and report back periodically - it makes the whole training process a lot more rewarding. There is no culture of face time here. If I have no work to do come 6pm my supervisor will not be impressed if I hang around. The firm places a lot of emphasis in recruiting on personality with the result being that almost everyone I have worked with has been friendly, happy to help and up for a laugh. It certainly makes for a great atmosphere throughout the firm. Everyone seems happy to be here, and that is infectious.
Worst:
Minus the salary, the benefits package in general. The 20 days' holiday and the meagre pension contibutions in particular.
What is the annual salary for this role? Starting salary: £41,000 - £43,000
What hours do you actually work, on average?
09:30 - 18:30
Working hours depend greatly between departments/busy periods.
What advice would you give to someone applying to this role? Application Advice: Be concise and avoid unnecessarily flowery language. By all means reference your achievements/Latham deals you have heard about/departments you are interested in but be prepared to talk about them at length in interview.

Apply for the vacation scheme.
Interview Advice: The interview questions I encountered were not phrased so as to catch me out. The interviewers picked up on things I had put in my application form, but the questions were open-ended to give me a chance to take the answer any way I wanted to. The interview often progressed as more of a conversation.

Don't be misled - the questions are tough, particularly in the commercial interview. But they are nothing you should not expect if you keep on top of the FT/The Economist/legal news. My interview was a surreal mix of tough questions with a light-hearted atmosphere. But it put me at ease and I was much better able to express myself than had I been on edge.

The interview was an accurate depiction of life at Latham - hard work, but in a laid-back environment.
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.