Job Review
Trainee at Latham & Watkins
at Latham & Watkins

What are the best and worst things about your job? Best:
The level of responsibility I am given with work, and the freedom we enjoy. I in no way feel like 'bottom of the pile' or as if my life is subject to the whim of more senior members of the firm, as I expected I would. When I am delegated work I am expected to manage the workload myself, ask questions where necessary and report back periodically - it makes the whole training process a lot more rewarding. There is no culture of face time here. If I have no work to do come 6pm my supervisor will not be impressed if I hang around. The firm places a lot of emphasis in recruiting on personality with the result being that almost everyone I have worked with has been friendly, happy to help and up for a laugh. It certainly makes for a great atmosphere throughout the firm. Everyone seems happy to be here, and that is infectious.
Minus the salary, the benefits package in general. The 20 days' holiday and the meagre pension contibutions in particular.
What is the annual salary for this role? Starting salary: £41,000 - £43,000
What hours do you actually work, on average?
09:30 - 18:30
Working hours depend greatly between departments/busy periods.
What advice would you give to someone applying to this role? Application Advice: Be concise and avoid unnecessarily flowery language. By all means reference your achievements/Latham deals you have heard about/departments you are interested in but be prepared to talk about them at length in interview.

Apply for the vacation scheme.
Interview Advice: The interview questions I encountered were not phrased so as to catch me out. The interviewers picked up on things I had put in my application form, but the questions were open-ended to give me a chance to take the answer any way I wanted to. The interview often progressed as more of a conversation.

Don't be misled - the questions are tough, particularly in the commercial interview. But they are nothing you should not expect if you keep on top of the FT/The Economist/legal news. My interview was a surreal mix of tough questions with a light-hearted atmosphere. But it put me at ease and I was much better able to express myself than had I been on edge.

The interview was an accurate depiction of life at Latham - hard work, but in a laid-back environment.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Career Sector:
Job Title:
England - Greater London
How long have you been at the company?:
£41,000 - £43,000
Average Rating:
Date of Review: 18th Feb 2014
20 users have voted this review useful.