Consultant Analyst, IT Delivery at PA Consulting Group

8.3
4.2/5
Date of Review: 05th Nov 2010
up
99 users have voted this review useful.
How would you describe your job in 2-3 lines?
Working on key client engagements but also some internal work.
This can differ greatly; at the moment, I spend my time on either one or two assignments. Firstly, I'm developing and promoting an iPad app for the finance sector. This is a demonstration of our capability and something we could also potentially sell to clients. Secondly, I am providing short term technical support to a complex IT system that is in need of rescue. I'm investigating current issues and working directly with the client to help resolve them.
What are the main positives and negatives to your job?
Exciting projects and knowing that you’ve made a difference.
In what ways has the reality of your job differed from your prior expectations?
I have been given more responsibility and independence than I would have anticipated for my rank and experience. I am in regular contact with senior clients and always encouraged to extend the accounts and grow the relationship.
What advice would you give to candidates applying for a similar role at this company
Look back over everything you've ever done and see if you can articulate what you've learnt from every experience. This job relies heavily on using and learning from experience.
As assignments are always bespoke to the client, they're often the first time you'll have done that particular type of work.
Also think about where you want to be in five years time. PA is so broad in its capabilities, and moving between areas of the organisation is so flexible, that you have the power to decide your own fate. If, of course, you have a clear idea of the future you want to pursue.
What hours do you actually work, on average? 9amto 6pm.
Normally 9 - 6. Only very occasionally do I need to work later than that. If I do, it is down to me, rather than pressure from colleagues or client commitments.
When I'm trying to learn a new skill to prepare for my next assignment, I might spend a few hours working on a rainy Sunday afternoon too (but only if I enjoy it!).
With the benefit of hindsight, would you choose to do this job again?
Definitely
Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.