GlaxoSmithKline Reviews

Employer: GlaxoSmithKline
Sector: Science and R&D
4.2
4.2/5 average employee rating (as reviewed by 152 people)

All of the below job reviews are anonymously written by graduates and apprentices working at GlaxoSmithKline to provide you with a unique insight into working there.

Date added: 31st March 2016 by Anonymous
The culture of GSK and it's core values can be felt throughout the company. The work GSK does with organisations like Save the Children which focus on the importance of people. I get a lot of very expensive training paid for on my Graduate Scheme, training that a lot of people in my industry never get the chance to do. This is a huge positive.It can be highly competitive at times, but that sometimes helps you to push yourself more.
Career Sector: IT Support & Telecoms
SAP Functional Consultant
9.2
4.6/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
I've been able to gain a really global experience in my current role, being able to work across geographical, cultural and business boundaries. This has been possible because GSK is based in over 100 countries and I'm based at the global HQ in Brentford. This has helped me learn a lot and been great exposure to get in what is only my second rotation (each 9 months). I enjoy the trust shown in me by senior leaders to lead projects and deliver through my own proposals. I've had exposure to many senior stakeholders in HR on a regular basis who have not only been great to speak to and learn but also act as a support structure. You can also speak to a graduate 'buddy' from the year above and other team members to build your knowledge, skills and confidence as you take on exciting activities. In taking on exciting and substantial projects you don't always have a chance to see them through to the end within 9 months which if you like to complete things as I do, means it can be a bit frustrating. Though this builds the 'one HR' culture in sharing best practice with others and ensuring you provide robust handovers for your work to be continued. I would certainly prefer interesting projects and not being able to complete them than small projects with little business impact, so it's not a major problem.
HR Associate
HR Strategy Deployment and Effectiveness
9.2
4.6/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
The company is very employee focused so you feel cared for, the graduate schemes provides you with real responsibility and great development opportunities.Given that the work load in this area is project based, there will be times where you have too much on and times where you'll be waiting for activities to begin.
Career Sector: IT Support & Telecoms
SAP Associate
8.5
4.3/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
The people. Very friendly and supportive environment. Steep learning curve and occasional disorganisation within the graduate scheme can be challenging.
Career: Accountancy
Finance Associate
R&D Finance
8.9
4.5/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
The graduates are empowered to pursue roles and take on responsibilities that are demanding and interesting. There are many opportunities to develop, and the company has a great supportive culture to help you grow into any role. There are plenty of exemplary role models in the business to learn from, in a leadership and technical capacity.Sometimes the manufacturing sites are in odd locations, but it's really not that bad!
Chemical Engineer
Engineering
8.1
4.1/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
The ability to experience a wide range of roles within the organization and personalised mentorship by senior leaders.
Career Sector: Science and R&D
Graduate associate
Future leaders program
7.8
3.9/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
High levels of responsibility, given a meaningful job. Company attitude of everyone matters, you're an employee not a number. Everyone has an opinion - can always get involved and valued. Good office environment. Graduate/Future Leaders are really pushed to develop and given opportunities to succeed.Everyone has an opinion - meetings drag on and fewer decisions made. Processes are sometimes unclear and poorly documented.
IT Associate
Change Management
6.9
3.5/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
The culture - everyone is nice, there is flexibility in how you work and you have a lot of autonomy.A lot of people are not responsible for delivering anything of tangible value to the business, so you are surrounded by a lot of people who make work for themselves. There is a lot of wastage and a lot of fluff - the company is not as business minded as it needs to be and it can be frustrating working in that environment, especially if you have a commercial background.
Career Sector: Arts & Media
Regional Category Manager
Procurement
5.5
2.8/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
Being part of a company that will provide the biggest medical breakthroughs of our lifetime. This means that I am helping to save and improve millions of lives across the world. The slow pace of change.
Performance Manager
Warehousing
6.5
3.3/5
Date added: 30th March 2016 by Anonymous
Values and mission of the company. Career progression.
Career Sector: Arts & Media