The best thing about my job is the amount of contact with senior management. I have reviews with the managing director every two months and weekly/fortnightly contact with the director of the department that I am based in. I have also had exposure to the regional managing director and it is a great privilege to have this exposure and learn from their experience.

I also enjoy the freedom to be innovative and work on a variety of projects in a range of departments. During each rotation, I have been able to complete a piece of work that is a project I've been able to take real ownership of and which adds value to the business. These are often prepared in conjunction with other departments and are outside the routine day to day tasks of the department.

Worst

It can be frustrating working in a department that you know you don't want to work in and in my early rotations I found it a little demoralising that I wouldn't be settling down into my job for another year. 8 weeks does seem like a long time and in my opinion 6 weeks would be sufficient time to get a detailed overview of the department.

Starting salary: £23,000 - £25,000

What hours do you actually work, on average?

Start: 08:00

Finish: 17:00

Demonstrate your enthusiasm for the whole industry and Barratt as a company. Due to the fact you are in a different department every eight weeks you need to demonstrate an enthusiasm for learning about all the various roles. Personal development is also very important to Barratt so don't be afraid to talk about a situation which didn't necessarily go well but that you were able to learn from.

It is important at the assessment centre to fully engage with the task being set. The situations can seem over-dramatic as they are being acted out but you have to remain calm and professional. Inter-personal skills are crucial so listen to what they are saying, respond to how they are acting, show empathy and concern, diffuse any anger etc, and put forward a solution.

For the interview itself prepare for questions about Barratt, why you want to work for them and your career goals beyond the graduate programme. Remember again that you will be working across six different departments within that division so show your enthusiasm for the industry as a whole and the opportunity of spending time in each discipline.

Corporate Responsibility: